Hints and tips on using our website
Help using our Search Features
You can look at our entire online list of plants by clicking on the "Browse all Plants" button at the bottom of the search pane. If you know the name of the plant you are looking for (or even part of its name) you can type it into the main seach box at the top to find it easily. This works for latin names or common names. Alternatively, by using the search fields, you can look for a particular plant or group of plants based on characteristics such as flower colour, aspect (plants for sun, shade etc) and season (if you're looking for plants of interest for spring or summer for example). Other options allow you to refine your searches or look for different lists of plants for particular situations. Choose as many options as you like to narrow your search and then click the grey "Go" button to see your results.
What does 'Award of Garden Merit' mean?
The Award of Garden Merit (AGM) is given by the Royal Horticultural Society to plants which it considers particularly garden worthy. We have indicated these plants in our list. To gain the award a plant
- · must be of outstanding excellence for ordinary garden decoration or use.
- · must be available from nurseries, seed suppliers or specialist growers.
- · must be of good constitution.
- · must not require highly specialist growing conditions or care.
- · must not be particularly susceptible to any pest or disease.
- · must not be subject to an unreasonable degree of reversion in its vegetative or floral characteristics.
The normal flowering period for each plant is stated in abbreviated month format eg May to July as May-Jul. Ultimate height (H) and spread (S) are also abbreviated and measured in centimetres (cm).
Varieties that have Plant Breeders’ Rights (PBR) are also indicated in the plant list. These varieties may not be propagated without a licence.
All images on this website are copyright of Macplants and may not be used without prior permission.